Family, Career and Community Leaders Regional Competition
Culinary and Early Childhood Education students from South Tech participated in Region 5 STAR Events in January. The Culinary Event was hosted at South Tech on Tuesday, January 23, while the other events and the Regional Officer election were held at Concordia Lutheran Church in Bourbon, Missouri on Wednesday, January 24. The Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) is a dynamic and effective national student organization that helps young men and women become leaders and address important personal, family, work, and social issues through Family Consumer Sciences education. STAR Events, (Students Taking Action with Recognition) is a FCCLA Program of competitive events designed to recognize individuals and chapters for their proficiency and achievement in chapter and individual projects, leadership skills and occupational preparation.
Gold Medal Winners from the Regional contests advance to State competition and possibly on to national competition. Destiny Quick helped with coaching the contestants and served as our voting delegate for the Regional Officer election. The following students from South Tech competed:
- Alexis Cheney (Senior, PM ECE), Chapter Service Project, Gold Medal (Lexi asked students to bring items to donate for children in foster care. Students who made donations were treated to a Birthday Party event at South Tech.)
- Ahmed Barrow (Junior,AM ECE) Focus on Children, Silver Medal (Ahmed taught the preschool children using a puppet show and activity how to use polite,sharing words when asking for a toy or to telling someone to wait their turn.)
- Catherine Grzywa (Senior, PM CUL), Culinary Arts, Gold Medal
- Cameron Harrison (Senior, PM CUL),, Culinary Arts, Gold Medal
- Hadley “Shae” McNeill (Senior, PM CUL), , Culinary Arts, Gold Medal
The three person Culinary Team prepared a full meal using skills in planning, safe and sanitary food preparation, and presentation of the food.