South Tech Triumphs at SkillsUSA State Competitions
Out of 109 competitors from South Tech, and hundreds more from across the state, a record of 21 students have qualified for the 2017 Skills USA National Championships.
April 13th and 14th, State Technical College of Missouri hosted this year’s State Competitions during which students in career and technical (CTE) majors in both high school and post-secondary education came together to work, learn, and compete in a wide variety of skilled trade contests.
Governor Greitens addressed the competitors Friday morning, stating that what students are learning through CTE is essential to the state of Missouri’s prosperity. CTE allows students to develop work ethic, responsibility, and creative problem solving skills along with the variety of specialized skills related to their career focused course of study. “We have to have a trained, excited, and capable work force,” Greitens said, “and the work that you guys are doing at SkillsUSA represents the very work we need to be promoting throughout the state of Missouri.” Greitens also acknowledged the mentors and teachers in attendance for their important work.
The SkillsUSA 53rd annual National Leadership and Skills Conference SkillsUSA will be held in Louisville, Ky., June 19-23, 2017. More than 16,000 people, including students, teachers and business partners, are expected to participate in the weeklong event. South Tech’s list of 1st place winners who qualified for National Championships are:
- SEAN GIBSON BAYLESS Dental Assisting
- JASON T NEIER LADUE Welding Fabrication A
- EVAN ADAMS LINDBERGH Quiz Bowl A
- ALEX BATHKE LINDBERGH Quiz Bowl A
- JOEL BESCH LINDBERGH Welding Fabrication A
- ANTHONY TRUONG LINDBERGH Related Technical Math
- ASHYLYNNE DIETRICH MEHLVILLE Quiz Bowl A
- XYON DUBOSE MEHLVILLE Quiz Bowl A
- JARED JACQUOT MEHLVILLE Welding Fabrication A
- ALEX JUELFS MEHLVILLE Welding Sculpture
- DOMINIC RUSSO MEHLVILLE Plumbing
- KAI HOFFMANN OAKVILLE Quiz Bowl A
- MARK WITTE PARKWAY NORTH Automated Manufacturing A
- PATRICK A WAY PARKWAY SOUTH Firefighting
- JOSEPH STEINHOFF EUREKA Quiz Bowl A
- AMANDA OHLAU ROCKWOOD SUMMIT Action Skills
- MICHAEL STEPPIG HOME SCHOOL Automated Manufacturing A
- CALEB HARTER HOME SCHOOL Automated Manufacturing A
- KALIAH KILLMADE WEBSTER GROVES Quiz Bowl A
- CHRISTOPHER MOORE WEBSTER GROVES Information Technology Services
- CHRISTOPHER OWNBEY WEBSTER GROVES Outdoor Power Equipment
Additionally, two South Tech students campaigned for state officer – Amanda Ohlau and Hailey Williams, both juniors from Rockwood Summit. To qualify as a candidate, these students became experts on the SkillsUSA organization and its mission. They were required to pass a variety of qualifying exams, develop their own mission focused campaign materials, draft and deliver speeches to voting delegates and SkillsUSA advisors, and host “Meet the Candidates” sessions during the state conference. Sally Difani, South Tech’s SkillsUSA co-lead and College and Career counselor said, “Both girls did an outstanding job!” Amanda Ohlau was elected and will serve on the state board in the coming school year.
South Tech is proud of all of its competitors and SkillsUSA members and recognizes their outstanding drive for excellence.